Helsinki is the capital of Finland and the largest city and is situated on a granite peninsula on the northern coast of the Gulf of Finland, facing the Baltic Sea. King Gustav Vasa of Sweden founded Helsinki in 1550 and in 1808 the city was incorporated in the Russian Grand Duchy of Finland. After a large fire destroyed a third of the city in 1808, Carl Ludvig Engel (1778-1840) was responsible for the rebuilding and downtown neoclassical result is set in the streets and boulevards wide beautiful parks with plenty.
The fortified islands of Suomenlinna are part of Helsinki, which seems distant, but is actually easy to reach by a ferry ride of 20 minutes, using the same ticket for buses and trams. The fortress of Sveaborg (Swedish castle) dominates the island. It was built in the mid 18th century to ban the Russian access to the Baltic. During the Russian Swedish War 1808-1809, it fell to the Russians, who later expanded and strengthened it. In 1918, it passed between Finnish hands and was given the name of Finland Suomenlinna (Castle of Finland). During the 1950s and 1960s, it was given by the army to the civilian authorities, and since then has been restored and converted to a cultural and recreational use. It is now included in the UNESCO list of world heritage monuments and a museum, a park and an artistic location. The zone is open almost all year, but the hours and the ferry access vary, so be sure to visit the website for the latest information.
2 Market Square
The market square (Kauppatori) is the main square planned and paved in the center of Helsinki, and is one of the most famous outdoor markets in northern Europe. Bordering the Baltic Sea, at the east end of Esplanadi, it is full of stalls selling Finnish food, flowers and tourist souvenirs, and there are fishing boats often aligned in selling seafood from water directly from the boat. In winter the market stalls are protected under tents, and there is a market hall throughout the year with more suppliers. Visitors should watch their food carefully, gulls market are large and cockiness and pluck food from unsuspecting diners.
3 Temppeliaukio Church (Rock Church)
North of the region along Fredrikinkatu Hietaniemi Church Rock Helsinki, designed by Timo and Tuomo Suomalainen in the 1960s within the groundwater church was carved out and built directly into the ancient rock solid Peninsula of Helsinki. The interior is bathed in a beautiful natural light entering through the glass dome.
East of downtown is Seurasaari Island, linked to the mainland by a bridge. It has an outdoor museum with interesting old houses, farms, a mansion, a church in Kiruna (1686), and other wooden buildings that were brought here for all parts of Finland. This is the place to learn how Finns lived long ago, before the modern era. Nearby, Meilahti 7, is an old wooden house now occupied by the Friends of Finnish crafts, with rye carpet exhibition and other traditional textiles. Visitors can watch the weavers at work.
5 Sibelius Monument and Park
Designed by Eila Hiltunen, the monument to the great Finnish composer was unveiled in 1967 and raised the immediate controversy and not a little criticism. The original monument was formed by a set of large metal tubes that creates music that breezes blow through them. The more traditional statue of Sibelius was added later, in response to complaints about the original concept. The monument is part of a beautiful park, one of many in the Finnish capital.